homestead - [Homestead] some new crops, food, home business opportunities

  • From: tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] some new crops, food, home business opportunities
  • Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 12:17:28 -0500

http://www.cybertopia.net/reporter/columns/3203nature.html

(nutritious, easy to harvest cattails---can replace wheat,

and being a disease-free perennial---get rid of nuisance

of annual planting and seedbed preparation)

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/water/fhp/wetlands/

pub_ww_babyboom.shtml (value of cattail wetlands to fish,

ducks, muskrats---damned muskrats raise hell with earthen

dams though)

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/proceedings1996/v3-002

.html (unexploited new crops of great utility---see the

Hairy Vetch section for your own weed-free garden. Peach

Palm and Moringa might do well along our Gulf Coast---I

like the idea of converting any starch to liquid baby food

with malted barley too---better ror babies and a lot

cheaper than the Nestle or Gerber crap.

I've had a lot of experience with Casuarina-watching---saw

it self-seed hundreds of barren sand islands in the

Bahamas, and grow ten feet or more per year to provide

fine shade. Greatly improved the esthetics with an

appearance like pine, firewood if desired---compost for

gardens that could not exist in former sand dunes. In

most of the Bahamas. gardening is confined to beans grown

in coral rock holes---no wonder so many kids have no teeth

at twelve years of age

Now that I think of it, there's a couple of good home

businesses here---liquid baby formula with a variety of

starches treated with malted barley. For instance, how

about liquid bananas? Low cost-of-entry too. You'd have

to evolve a rapid means of distribution to groups of new

health and nutrition-conscious mothers---party plan

probably, and run like hell to keep ahead of copy-cats a

year or two down the road.

The other one I like---have to live in the latitude of

Homestead, Florida for this is growing, selling papaya.
I used to buy strawberries from a farmer with twenty acres

near Homestead. That produced a high income in normal

years, but I noticed a ten-foot tall tree in front of his house, with twenty or

thirty big papayas on it. Couldn't help thinking the

farmer could simplify his life a lot, and avoid all price

-competition, short shelf life and picking problems of

strawberries if he grew papayas instead. As you might

guess, my years in Latin America made me really appreciate

a big delicious papaya for breakfast.

  • [Homestead] some new crops, food, home business opportunities, tvoivozhd, 02/02/2005