homestead - [Homestead] Thoughts on Social Security reform proposals

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: "homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org" <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Thoughts on Social Security reform proposals
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 16:58:37 -0700

It seems to me that the need for a social security program administered by the government is simply because most people do not provide for their financial needs beyond their working years unless they are forced to do so, which Social Security does. When we begin our working careers in our twenties we rarely think seriously about retirement forty years or so down life's road. But that is exactly when retirement investment should be begun, to take advantage of compound interest as well as the huge benefits of a regular monthly investment.

It seems to me that President Bush's partial privatization exhortations simply reflect the traditional Republican desire for less government and less taxes. Who does not want those two things? That present partial privatization would inevitably be expanded seems obvious, with the ultimate goal of eliminating the present system altogether. Such a plan serves the philosophy well be it ill serves citizens.

Without doubt, more Americans putting additional big money into stocks, bonds, and mutual funds would provide big capital to American businesses. This might very well be a positive thing for business but just as well might drive down investment returns--more dollars chasing the same investments raises prices and lowers returns. Demand and supply.

I only care about this issue for my children and grandchildren. This year I am paying the maximum, and I will say that paying eleven thousand into the system gets one's painful attention. So from a selfish point of view, make it full privatization and just give me what was long promised. But while we geezers will not much be affected by whatever happens, we damn sure care about our offspring. And we have no confidence that they will act any smarter about planning ahead for retirement than we did. It is human nature to procrastinate, and no government program will change human nature.

As for the freedom of choosing one's personal investments, a few would make great choices, most would make fair-to-good choices and many would make terrible choices. It is the nature of differing intellects. So class disparities would increase. The poor would still be among us, still needing some level of government assistance to keep from resorting to crime or dying in the streets. Which would be bad for the general population.

The present system is imperfect but with minor tweaking can last longer than any of us.

  • [Homestead] Thoughts on Social Security reform proposals, Gene GeRue, 01/26/2005