homestead - Re: [Homestead] country music

  • From: tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] country music
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 14:57:54 -0500

ted wrote:

Hi Tvo, do you have a link to this whole article? I'd like to put it up on a
music forum or two.
Ted

on 1/25/05 8:25 AM, homestead-request AT lists.ibiblio.org at
homestead-request AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

* The Effect of Country Music on Suicide *

STEVEN STACK, Wayne State University JIM GUNDLACH, Auburn University

* Abstract *

music-suicide.pdf (application/pdf Object) (think this will bring up a 1992 PDF file) <http://www.uta.edu/depken/ugrad/3318/music-suicide.pdf>

tvoivozhd---the dolorous verse of country music is depressing---you know, "my achin hort" and that sort of thing. All you have to do is introduce a few cheery words and title to offset them. For instance, like the "Lucky Pants" piece of country music, where the poor husband staggers home after a twelve-hour shift in a coal mine, throws his pants across the back of a chair and crawls into bed---heard a noise a few minutes later, and still sleepy put the pants back on and looked around the house, locked all the doors and windows. Here comes the cheery anti-suicidal part. You write a verse about how they were too short and didn't feel right---the husband reaches in his back pocket and found his wallet contained $50,000. whereupon he heads to town to buy the "Last Chance" bar and renames it the "Lucky Pants Tavern". Lives happily ever after.