homestead - [Homestead] Start thinking about spring planting of your applle trees

  • From: tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Start thinking about spring planting of your applle trees
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 09:54:13 -0500

Ashmeads Kernel

Cox's Orange Pippin

King David

Arkansas Black

Esopus Spitzenburg

Snow Apple (Fameuse) Used to eat a lot of these as a kid---most unusual flavor.

Newtown Pippin (formerly Albemarle Pippin)

CALVILLE BLANC d' HIVER

Holstein---German seedling of Cox's Orange Pippin.
I planted one of these ten years ago, but it was a drought year and my pails of water couldn't keep it alive on the edge of a ridge with no subsurface flow of water.

Four antiques planted at the same time with some subsurface water flow (other side of ridge) have done well---had to surround with deer fence of course.

http://www.southmeadowfruitgardens.com/FeaturedFruitTrees.html
(Southmeadow is the most extensive grower of Antiques, but you have to order early---they run out of stock. Unless you have a lot of land and time you can't grow every antique you want--see this website for other options to the above short list.

http://www.nafex.org/nafexsrc.htm
(long list of fruit tree suppliers, but my best advice is to stay away from Edible Landscaping, Afton, Va---Along with Miller up in New York, on my incompetent and/or thieves list.