homestead - Re: [Homestead] Andorra, the ultimate escape haven

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Andorra, the ultimate escape haven
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 06:59:44 -0800

At 1/17/2005, you wrote:
Andorra is a medieval principality secluded from the rest of the world, yet only a short drive from the sparking beaches of the French Riviera, and that bustling European economic powerhouse, Barcelona. It lies in a hidden valley in the picturesque Pyrenees

I would not say a "short" drive. The road up and back is a very fun road, tight curves that wind up the sides of the mountain through little villages sitting on stair steps, by medieval walled cities with even more narrow streets. A great drive in a car that knows tight curves.

In one little village, the streets were carved out of the mountain side with the top floors of the next streets buildings on one side and a wall supporting the bottom floors of the buildings on the other side. A woman had a clothes line along the wall and was hanging her rather enormous behind out on the street to hang her wash.

A tour buss barely fit as it turned corners and then only by a short wheelbase and tremendous over hang on each end. He charged into the little village laying heavily on the horn as he came to a corner then without slowing swung the bus around the corner. It appeared his front and rear bumper missed walls by inches while the inside corner barely missed the center of the bus.

I liked my visit to Andorra but can see where the place can get really cold, situated in the only real mountain pass between the Mediterranean Atlantic. And as we were returned to France there was a checkpoint where they searched the cars passing through.

Don Bowen
Awl Knotted Up Woodworking
Valley Center, CA http://www.braingarage.com