homestead - [Homestead] Sad commentary (2)

  • From: sanrico AT highdesert.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Sad commentary (2)
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 06:29:32 -0800 (PST)

Well, I see where I missed my own point, so to speak. What I wanted to say/ask
was: since the rural-homestead lifestyle requires that everyone pitch in, pull
their own weight, learn skills early and well, etc., my question was regarding
the use of tools and equipment by children - and how early they can be
responsible for using and caring for them. I think the farther people get from
the land, the more they distance themselves from their children. There's no
need
to be close (TV's a great babysitter) and no teaching to be done...that
becomes
someone else's job (ain't money grand?). I think we far underestimate our
children's potential for responsibility and - by doing so - we lower not only
our
expectations, but theirs, too.
Sandy

Get free email at http://www.highdesert.com

  • [Homestead] Sad commentary (2), sanrico, 12/12/2004