homestead - [Homestead] Fw: Phone scam in the area

  • From: "Toni Hawryluk" <tonihawr AT msn.com>
  • To: "Homestead mailing list" <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Fw: Phone scam in the area
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 13:45:31 -0800

----- Original Message -----
To: Maritime Pacific Northwest Gardeners<mailto:pacnwgardn AT u.washington.edu>
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2004 1:18 PM
Subject: Phone scam in the area

Pardon the off topic letter, but this is first hand experience to pass
along, IMMEDIATELY!

In the last two days I have gotten three calls from something
identified on my caller i.d. as "The True Source", phone number 559
248-0127. A recorded voice says "I have a call for you. Please
hold." Then it goes into music.
I checked both through an internet search and my phone company and not
only is the caller i.d. number an out of service number, there is NO
phone company using "The True Source".
I don't know what would have happened if I'd stayed on the line, but I
know there have been other scams in which they can connect you to
another system while you are on hold and then charge all kinds of
services to you.
In short, if you get any kind of call with that message, "I have a
call for you. Please hold." with NO identification of the caller or
company involved, HANG UP FAST!
If you can, report it to your local police so they can get the word
out. That's what my phone company told me to do.

  • [Homestead] Fw: Phone scam in the area, Toni Hawryluk, 12/02/2004