homestead - Re: [Homestead] geography/science - and writing history

  • From: sanrico AT highdesert.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] geography/science - and writing history
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 20:27:55 -0800 (PST)

http://famulus.msnbc.com/famulusgen/ap11-30-185727.asp?t=apnew&vts=113020041920<http://famulus.msnbc.com/famulusgen/ap11-30-185727.asp?t=apnew&vts=113020041920>

> Justice Department to fight Hanford initiative in court
>
> By SHANNON DININNY
> ASSOCIATED PRESS
>
> YAKIMA, Wash., Nov. 30 - The government plans to ask a judge to overturn a
> Washington state initiative that bars the Energy Department from sending
> radioactive waste from other states to the Hanford nuclear site until waste
> already there is cleaned up.
> The measure is scheduled to take effect Dec. 2.

"...shipped elsewhere for long-term disposal?" There was a proposal (it's
still
pending, I believe) to ship nuclear waste to Yucca Mountain, via a very
circuitous route that would bring it into California (right through our
Barstow
area) and back out again - unnecessarily, of course. Odd - and frightening -
that
all the materials, elements, and 'equipment' that accompanied the planet as it
came fresh from the factory somehow are able to recycle and adapt themselves
in a
lovely and harmonious way, but the 'things' we humans have invented
(progressing
ourselves to death) cannot now be gotten rid of. They may, instead, get rid
of us!

Sandy