homestead - Re: [Homestead] not - Iraqis

  • From: tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] not - Iraqis
  • Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 17:06:29 -0500

Toni Hawryluk wrote:

tvoivozhd---Forgot exactly when---sometime after `1997 the British
passed a law making it illegal for gardeners and farmers to save heirloom seeds. Don't know its present status. I doubt such a law would be enforcible in Iraq---they seem an uruly lot and everyone carries a Kalashnikov unless they feel the grenade launcher or a 90 mm mortar tube stashed in their bedroom closet would be more appropriate.

Having read about U.K and particularly British feelings
about their gardens, would you offer your opinion
about a possible percentage of British law-breakers
re heirloom seeds ?

The "strong" feelings of the British gardener didn't prevent the Law from being passed in the first place---I have a good deal more confidence of Kalashnikov persuasion in the hands of every gardener, both in keeping the law from being passed or enforced.