homestead - Re: [Homestead] second stolen election :

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] second stolen election :
  • Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 16:02:47 -0700

And the government you apparantly find favor with would encourage this by social programs, which have been in place since the depression, and have not solved the problem?

The logic escapes me.

Social welfare programs are band aids, temporary protection until healing has occurred. For nearly all of us, this means employment that pays us enough to buy shelter, utilities, food, clothing and transportation to get to and from employment.

Other social programs: education, health care, child-care, etc., if well designed and administered, can help some people lift themselves into the level of productive, tax-paying citizens. Some people will always be poor; some people choose to be homeless.

The diminishment of the middle class is of greater impact on our society and the strength of the country. A country of a few rich and lots of poor--we are not there but are moving in that direction--tends toward crime, dissatisfaction, estrangement, anarchy, unrest and revolution. Today, we might say it trends toward terrorism, but that seems to be more dogma driven than economic. Osama bin Laden may disagree. I don't know how he thinks.

The seemingly smart people I read persuade that a small upper class, a large middle class, and a small lower class, tend to constitute a stable society. So, our current trend is dangerous.