homestead - [Homestead] about citurs :

  • From: "Toni Hawryluk" <tonihawr AT msn.com>
  • To: "Homestead mailing list" <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] about citurs :
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 12:07:02 -0800

I'll be moving my dwarf citrus this week, to a

more protected spot - temps are getting down

toward frost.

While I'm thinking about them, here's an URL

to check out :

Prices are what I paid two years ago - may be

heading up, may not - who knows ?

If you're interested in growing indoor/greenhouse

citrus, my advice is to begin with literature :

http://www.crfg.org/fg/icrfsn.html<http://www.crfg.org/fg/icrfsn.html>

I had a membership with this group before

they changed their name (not much, but .) and

I was happy with their blurbs/advice. I may yet

resubscribe now that I have more time ....

I don't know if the URL below is the one where

my citrus came from - it was purchased by a

stranger-to-me who advertised on a gardening

list for this area that at least a small price

break could be obtained by buying multiple 'trees' -

helps with the shipping, too, to share it if a central

pick-up/drop-off can be arranged by a group ..

http://www.fourwindsgrowers.com/<http://www.fourwindsgrowers.com/>

Be sure to read their faqs column, too ..

excerpt : "By providing growing instructions
<>online<http://www.fourwindsgrowers.com/growing/> and our detailed How to
Grow booklet, which comes with every order, you have all the information you
need to be successful. It is then up to you to provide the optimal conditions
and care for your tree."

Last but not least, think cherry/plum tomatoes

vs the full-size types. IMO, a smaller-size-fruit

plant has a more tenacious grip on life - as in

kumquat/calamondin/lemon vs grapefruit/pummelo.

And the extra money for a "proved" tree may be

worth it if it takes several years to produce fruit

*and* you are confident in your skills and

attention-span-to what is going on with your

purchase.

Pricing

One Year Trees:

1 tree for $22.00
2 or 3 trees for $20.00 each
4 or more trees for $18.00 each

Two-to-Three Year Trees:

1 tree for $39.00
2 or 3 trees for $36.00 each
4 or more trees for $34.00 each

Alaska and Hawaii: Add $10.00 to order total

ORANGES

Robertson Navel

Washington Navel

Lane Late Navel

Trovita

Shamouti

Valencia

Moro Blood Orange

Seville Sour Orange

Chinotto (Myrtle-Leaf) Sour Orange

Midknight Valencia

Sanguinella Blood Orange

Cara Cara (Pink) Navel

MANDARINS / TANGERINES

Dancy Tangerine

Owari Satsuma Mandarin

Murcott (Honey) Mandarin

Clementine (Algerian) Mandarin

Minneola Tangelo

LEMONS

Eureka

Lisbon

Meyer (Improved)

Variegated Pink

Ponderosa

GRAPEFRUIT

Oro Blanco

Rio Red

Chandler Pummelo

LIMES

Bearss Seedless

Mexican

Rangpur

Kaffir (Thai)

Palestine Sweet

UNUSUAL VARIETIES

Calamondin

Variegated Calamondin

Buddha Hand

Bergamot

Etrog Citron

KUMQUATS AND RELATIVES

Nagami Kumquat

Meiwa Kumquat

Limequat

Indio Mandarinquat

  • [Homestead] about citurs :, Toni Hawryluk, 11/24/2004