homestead - Re: [Homestead] Vicious Sharia

  • From: "Toni Hawryluk" <tonihawr AT msn.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Vicious Sharia
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 11:51:05 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: Tvoivozhd<mailto:tvoivozd AT infionline.net>

> All patriarchical societies are vicious, discriminatory and repressive
> against women, (snip)

Not so healthy, physically *or* mentally, for men, either ...

> Common decency is a secular virtue, not a virtue of institutionalized
> religion. (snip)

Like "common sense" - not so *common* any more.

> Since 1999, 12 states across the mainly Muslim north of the country have
> begun reintroducing Sharia principles into their penal codes, including
> punishments such as flogging, amputation and stoning.
>
> Proponents of Islamic law say the punishments are a small part of a system

"...flogging, amputation, and stoning ..." are a
"small part" ?!?!? Daaaaannng !

> which guarantees law and order and the wellbeing

*Whose* "well-being" since both women and men
are victims of it ?

> of society.

Yeah. Right. And the part of "society" that benefits
are the only the elite religious leaders/"law" enforcers.

> However, human-rights groups have denounced the punishments as barbaric.

How 'effective' is "denouncing" against
"flogging, amputation, and stoning" .... ?
If they stopped banging their heads
against the ground five times a day they
might have some brain left for a thought
to lodge in .... but then, seeing what is
*still* running *this* country - - - oh, well.