homestead - Re: [Homestead] Military Recruiters

  • From: Kathyann Natkie <knat AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Military Recruiters
  • Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 09:22:19 -0400

Toni Hawryluk wrote:

Well, since there's a scarcity of jobs, it's one way to trim the work force -
and high school is plenty
education for 18-year-olds - now they can go out and learn to maim and kill.

Not to belabor this too much but we have to report them in 8th grade unless their parent writes to oppose. The US is one of only a few nations refusing to join the international ban on child soldiers because "If we wait until they're 18, they won't sign up." So our age remains 15-16 with waivers for 14 to begin training.

Kathyann