homestead - [Homestead] How to Preserve an Entire Goose

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: Homestead mailing list digest <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] How to Preserve an Entire Goose
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 21:58:07 -0700

I've been thinking about getting 10 goslings this spring. They're called the "poor man's pig" in Italy. Last night I read about making prosciutto and salame from goose among the Jewish communities. Salame d'oca, as it's called, is made with the neck skin of the goose as the casing. And tonight I found a recipe! I have to wonder about the suggestion that a salame should be pricked all over to let in air. I always thought a lactic product, like sauerkraut or cheese, needs to have air excluded. Tonight I also found a hint that salame d'oca can be aged in goose fat, like a confit. That would certainly exclude air.

This means that without ever keeping a large animal, you can make all the fine charcuterie that you need. Read the story of kosher goose salame at

http://www.westonaprice.org/foodfeatures/uncook_goose.html

Bill
S. Oregon coast

  • [Homestead] How to Preserve an Entire Goose, Bill Jones, 10/15/2004