homestead - [Homestead] oh, my !!

  • From: "Toni Hawryluk" <tonihawr AT msn.com>
  • To: "Homestead mailing list" <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] oh, my !!
  • Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 19:19:52 -0700

http://famulus.msnbc.com/famulusgen/reuters10-05-220032.asp?t=renew&vts=10620041858<http://famulus.msnbc.com/famulusgen/reuters10-05-220032.asp?t=renew&vts=10620041858>

Tax on Men for Violence on Women Proposed
STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - A group of Swedish parliamentarians proposed
levying a ''man tax'' to cover the social cost of violence against women.
''It must be obvious to all of us that society has a huge problem with
male violence against women and that has a cost,'' Left Party deputy Gudrun
Schyman told Swedish radio on Monday.
''We must have a discussion where men understand they as a group have
a responsibility,'' said Schyman, one of the party members to sign the motion
for debate on the new tax.
Sweden already has the highest taxes in the European Union as a
percentage of gross domestic product to pay for its famous but hard-pushed
cradle-to-grave welfare program.
It is also one of the world's most advanced nations in terms of gender
equality, but Schyman said in a headline-hitting 2002 speech that
discrimination in Sweden followed ''the same pattern'' as in Afghanistan
under the Taliban.

  • [Homestead] oh, my !!, Toni Hawryluk, 10/06/2004