homestead - [Homestead] Ponchos, 38 cents a pound cheese

  • From: Tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Ponchos, 38 cents a pound cheese
  • Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 19:18:41 -0700

I've mentioned this a long way back. Simple, no-labor niche imports can make you a good living. I bought a number of beautiful ponchhos from small home workshops in villages twenty or so miles south of Quito, Equador. and 38 cents a pound Muenster cheese from the same villages---no U.S. import duty on Muenster cheese.

You would have to re-establish the village contacts I have lost---would help like crazy if you spoke Spanish or Quechua. I used to speak and read Spanish fluently, and some Aymara, but never Quechua.

My more-lavish-than-usual woolen ponchos cost me $2.75 to $3.00 apiece. leather ones would have been higher in cost---don't know how much. Not sure what the leather was---in common use because of the heavy dew and wet, low-hanging clouds at 12,000 to 14,000 feet in the Andes. I doubt that it was cow-leather.