homestead - [Homestead] Mt St Helens - active again :

  • From: "Toni Hawryluk" <tonihawr AT msn.com>
  • To: "Homestead mailing list" <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Mt St Helens - active again :
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 18:14:16 -0700

Map of the previous ash plume - *lotta* stuff there !
good photos, interactive information, etc. in the sidebars.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6092368/<http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6092368/>

Mount St. Helens emits steam, ash plume

Small earthquakes continue amid biggest release in latest activity

MSNBC staff and news service reports
Updated: 7:26 p.m. ET Oct. 4, 2004

excerpt :
"Since that first burst of steam and ash [last week], we've had a continuing
build-up of earthquakes, indicating the pressure still is mounting
underneath," he said. "USGS crews just yesterday observed dramatic uplift in
the crater floor underneath the glacier and on part of the lava dome. Cracks
are opening up, so we know that something is pushing up close to the surface
right now."

"Something is driving - like a piston - something is driving up. We believe
it's magma," said Jeff Wynn, chief scientist for volcano hazards at
Vancouver, Wash.

  • [Homestead] Mt St Helens - active again :, Toni Hawryluk, 10/04/2004