homestead - [Homestead] Iraq, now this is pretty ugly, Reserve Unit going in without weapons

  • From: tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Iraq, now this is pretty ugly, Reserve Unit going in without weapons
  • Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 20:35:58 -0400

Yeah it's a training mission, but it reminds me of WWII British training with crude hand-carved all-wood rifles

Army Sends Weaponless Reserve Unit To Iraq

About 800 members of the 98th Army Reserve Division from Rochester, New York will begin a year-long mission in Iraq next month.

The unit, which normally trains reserve and active-duty soldiers in the U.S., will find itself training Iraq’s new army.

The 98th is a non-combat unit that doesn't even have its own weapons or vehicles.

"This is a hard war and we, frankly, inside the Army Reserve have been not properly prepared for it,” said Lt. Gen. James Helmly, chief of the U.S. Army Reserve.

  • [Homestead] Iraq, now this is pretty ugly, Reserve Unit going in without weapons, tvoivozhd, 09/26/2004