homestead - [Homestead] Abaco under the Hurricane Gun

  • From: Tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Abaco under the Hurricane Gun
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 15:25:02 -0700

Hoo-Boy, glad I don't have to sweat that out. Abaco was my old Bahamian home,140 miles long and breadth of a finger wide. Except at the southeast rock wall a storm surge cuts the islandin numerous places. I always feared that because of an under-ten-knot top speed, I couldn't get out of the way of a hurricane with my hemaphrodite-rigged 56-foot schooner---even with good weather forecasting, which then did not exist.

  • [Homestead] Abaco under the Hurricane Gun, Tvoivozhd, 09/24/2004