homestead - Re: [Homestead] Worst .... poverty and inequality

  • From: "Toni Hawryluk" <tonihawr AT msn.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Worst .... poverty and inequality
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 17:26:52 -0700

> It is a popular misconception to think that Catholicism causes high birth
rates.

Does, or does not, the Vatican insist
1. no birth control
2. no abortions

> And, when the income (and education) of Catholics goes up, their use of
> birth control is similar to that of non-Catholics of the same income and
> educational levels. Jerry Shepperd

So rich Catholics practice birth control and abortion ?

Toni
From: "Toni Hawryluk" <tonihawr AT msn.com>
To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Subject: Re: [Homestead] not Army
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 17:33:27 -0700

> tough call, I tend to agree with you,
but if he voted for Kerry, just to not vote
for bush, and Kerry turned out to be the
most evil monster we've ever had, how
would he feel? I think you have to believe
in the choice you make, and then vote. Drew

What I perceive you to be saying is

"better the devil you know than ..."

to find out whether or not the devil you
don't know *is*.

Since the devil we know has *proved*
what *it* is - I fail to see your point.
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 21:40:18 -0700
From: Tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: [Homestead] Houses, tiny and solar collection

Divert from the home manufacturing business series momentarily---to
housebuilding, preferably small ones.

http://www.wauu.de/Arts/Architecture/Minimum_Cost_Housing/ (houses are
too damn big to economically build and maintain, to say nothing of
taxes---make tiny houses act and feel like big ones by opening up
angles, vistas, getting rid of interior partitions and those cursed
second stories, basements with their space-robbing staircases, and
occupant-killing hot, poisonous gases if a fire starts. Make any and all
houses wheelchair-accessile---you may be in a sheelchare next week and
for the rest of your life. Use large,insulated-pane windows (think
French Doors) both to contain heat and provide ventilation---and don't
forget a tall window will only throw light inside twenty feet---beyone
that you should think about transparent roof panels and piping light
inside with fiber optics or cylinders containing reflective mirrors)

http://207.44.246.88/cgi-bin/netoh/page.cgi?g=Arts%2FArchitecture%2FMinimum_Cost_Housing%2Findex.html&d=1
(McGill has always been a pioneer in minimum-cost housing---mostly for
Third World, but applicable in the U.S.)

http://www.mchg.mcgill.ca/mchg/thesis/thlist1.htm (McGill themes in
greater detail)

http://www.mirago.co.uk/scripts/dir.aspx?cat=Top%2FArts%2FArchitecture%2FMinimum_Cost_Housing
(examples of tiny houses)

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/financial-literacy2004/calculators/MinPayment.asp
(Even if you think it will kill you, pay as you go---a compound interest
mortgage absolutely WILL kill you. In the unlikely event your house is
too tiny, add-on in stages, also pay-as-you go.)

http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/bldg/fyh/ratings/why.htm (minimum cost means
passive solar heat and protection against unwanted summer heat, both
requiring a good insulation factor. Don't forget termite protection
too---you don't want wood elements collapsing around your ears.)

http://www.womens-finance.com/budget/heatmaxcomfort.shtml (reduce your
utility costs---it is not to your advantage to make your electric, oil
or gas supplier rich)

http://www.architecture-list.com/Top_Arts_Architecture_Minimum_Cost_Housing.html
(minimum cost housing web links)

http://www.akf.dk/eng/wind0.htm (the economics of wind-electricity in
Denmark---which has elimated its reliance on fossil fuel to two percent)

http://www.super-e.com/html/english/general/gen-what.html (other
countries have more fervently embraced energy-efficient than the U.S.
Canada and Japan among them.)

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id057 (low-cost
discussion forum suggestions---stay away from anything with asbestos in
the name---and pounding dirt in tires is too labor-intensive.)

http://features.aroundcarolina.com/architecture/shotgun.asp (shotgun
houses, Yoruba heritage)

http://www.nahn.com/hph.htm (cold-climate housing, recapture heat from
exiting air with a heat-exchanger to you don't pay twice for heatin it.)

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5830575/site/newsweek/ (bedZED houses)

http://216.239.39.104/search?qÊche:FjkVV6IjyvsJ:www.indianembassy.org/indiainfo/india_2000/chapters/chp17.pdf+minimum+cost+houses&hl=en
(Panchayat programs---some of the most brilliant, economical and
practical housing illustrations occur in India)

http://www.fas.org/housing/eps.htm (extremely low cost, durable Afghan
houses)

http://www.habitatforhumanity.org.uk/html/houses.html (Habitat For
Humanity houses take many forms---most cheaper than better than
stickbuild U.S. Habitat For Humanity homes)

http://www.phys.ufl.edu/~liz/design.html (passive solar Florida Cracker
House)

http://solarsensedesigns.com/ (small, 1040 sq. feet passive solar,
passive cooling house---don't use cooling air tubes any place except a
dry climate---think mold, allergies and Legionaires Disease)

http://www.toolbase.org/tertiaryT.asp?DocumentID!03&CategoryID35
(passive solar air preheater for south-facing walls)

http://www.ourcoolhouse.com/timeline.htm

http://www.ourcoolhouse.com/designs.htm#plan2 (open up the angles,
don't be afraid to enlist a college professor and his architectural
student class, or post on an architectural student bulletin board a
first, second, maybe third prize for redoing your favorite house design.)

http://www.ki7xh.com/house.htm (probably too-expensive for yor or me,
but some interesting features)

http://www.mountainhomeshow.com/houseplans/mypageDiary2.htm (this is
even more interesting and described in greater detail---a two-story
house though, which I despise)

http://www.envirolink.org/articles/jul97-1.html (erector set with a
roof for $10,000, by Pliny Fisk, the best of the best)

http://www.taunton.com/store/pages/fh_toc_123.asp (good small houses
described in Taunton Press, Fine Homebuilding 1999 magazine)

http://www.taunton.com/store/pages/fh_toc_147.asp (2002 Fine
Homebuilding magazine---have your librarian get a bunch of them for you)

http://www.buildinggreen.com/elists/furnacefree.cfm (your furnace-free
house in chilly Vermont)

http://www.lib.snow.edu/ageofcollectionaug2002/augage2002Page921.html
(long list of houses you can get from your librarian on interlibrary
loan---don't know a thing about them, except every time I hear Frank
Lloyd Wright my ears prick up---spent a lot of weekends at Spring Green
talking to Olga in Russian, and FLW in English.)

http://www.housealive.org/article_sand-straw-clay.htm (cob, Fix-all,
wattle and daub)

http://www.resourcesforlife.com/groups/simpleliving/jayshafer/naturalhome200011-12.htm
(Tumbleweed in Natural Home magazine)

http://www.ibiblio.org/london/renewable-energy/solar/general-info/msg00255.html
(Nick Pine, one of the quickest and most competent numbers-men I have
ever run across, expert on solar chimneys, thermal storage in concrete
septic tanks under a house. Back in 1997 and for a few years later when
I was on many energy and construction forums, I had voluminous
correspondence with Nick) Look him up, he has lots of stuff in his
persoal archives.)

http://www.metroactive.com/papers/sonoma/03.13.03/greenbuilding-0311.html
(465 sq. foot portable dome---I like cluster domes---used to be a
cluster at University of Wisconsin that friends lived in and
loved---lots of light, views and idiot-simple, cheap to make---lot
easier to make and much more useful than a giant, single dome.)

http://www.naturalhomemagazine.com/current-issues/archive/2001/septoct01/canyon.htm
(house built into a canyon rock wall, Natural Home magazine_