homestead - [Homestead] Cutting celery

  • From: Tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Cutting celery
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 11:56:31 -0700

After a few futile attempts to grow celery in clay soil I gave up, though I really, really like stuffed celery. However, for all other purposes Cutting Celery is superior---soups, stews, you name it.

And this is the second year I have held over Cutting Celery in my living room and on my porch. Thje growth slows down in winter but never stops. It makes no difference to me---I would just as soon cut, dry and crumble the leaves into a shaker bottle anyway---as convenient as using salt and pepper.
I just cut off all the stalks and leaves, and will invest a couple hours in stripping the leaves from the stalks. After that the oven does all the work in drying. I would have preferred drying the leaves in the cab of the pickup truck as I did last year (use the solar heat, but keep the leaves out of the sunlight), but lazy is as lazy does---have to dry the leaves in the oven now.

I will throw away the contents of last year's shaker bottle---seems still good, but might be slightly less so than newly dried Cutting Celery. No matter, unless we were running a restaurant, this batch is more than can be used in a year if you lived completely on soups and stews.