homestead - [Homestead] Home Manufacturing Busiiness, recent Post #4

  • From: Tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Home Manufacturing Busiiness, recent Post #4
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 11:32:09 -0700

Home manufacturing, recent post #4

http://www.ers.usda.gov/Briefing/Industry/earningstrends/ (non-metro business and employment grew slower than Metro---no wonder, needs of metro areas for increasing both is overwhelming and response SHOULD be greater.

But you are a rural resident, you don't have to subordinate YOUR needs to anyone elses---get on the stick and crank up YOUR rural enterprise, get off the employee hamster-wheel.

Self-employment is a mindset, hard to break because the emphasis has been on being a good, docile, loyal (hah!) wage-slave. But the mindset is breakable and all the tools needed to become self-employed are now the most numerous and effective the world has ever seen---you may and probably will take a job as a quickfix to a very thin wallet, that's all right, but plan to get out of Dodge as quickly as possible on your self-employment horse---try to double-dip, take home some kind of paycheck and at the same time learn something useful in your own business).

http://www.ers.usda.gov/Briefing/Industry/FreeFall/ (manufcturing decline in the U.S. affects ALL sectors---who cares about the biggies---you aren't going to manufacture 747's in your backyard anyway, imagineer your home manufacturing business---get there fustest with the mostest.

http://216.239.39.104/search?q=cache:xN0nHvBUAhkJ:www.ers.usda.gov/publications/ruralamerica/ra151/ra151c.pdf+trend+in+rural+manufacturing&hl=en (a farm or farm community that produces only a commodity is doomed, and so is a farm-factory. Pick a profitable niche-market and you can sleep soundly at night and leave your kids comfortably well-off---wel not TOO comforbly, the Idle Rich Syndrome that afflicts this society is very bad for it.

http://216.239.39.104/search?q=cache:qIu1pbk6JHwJ:www.ers.usda.gov/publications/rct71/rct71a.pdf+trend+in+rural+manufacturing&hl=en

(OK, there is a countercurrent of people moving to to rural and small-town areas---you know all about that, you are part of it. furn it to your advantage with a rural manufacturing activity---something you don't have to feed and currycomb, and that can be made just-in-time---as soon as you have the credit-card payment safely in hand.)

http://216.239.39.104/search?q=cache:XMjBZ9Auf9QJ:www.kc.frb.org/spch%26bio/IntnlConfAgCredit.pdf+trend+in+rural+manufacturing&hl=en (yeah, the bankers want to get in the act---screw 'em, their only use is to handle Letters of Credit and transferring the money from their foreign affiliate banks to you if you are exporting your product (as you certainly should) Be sure your banker knows what the hell he is doing in handling export papers---most of them don't and to keep your pockets from being picked, YOU will have to educate them---DON'T ever depend on someone else to do what is really YOUR job or you will lose your tuppy.)

http://www.oycf.org/Perspectives/2_110299/dogmatism.htm (interesting historical aside---you know my passion for history---Stalins fixation on giantism instead of bfoad-based small, priately-owned, privately run small business.) We still have Stalin's fixation on giantism in the U.S.---stupid in the Soviet Union and stupid in the Oval Office.

http://www.nal.usda.gov/ric/resources/backgrnd/08cmfg/mfg.htm (good, good,good---you will certainly want to read this to clarify your mind and visualize your rural manufacturing prospects.)

http://www.danieldrezner.com/archives/000748.html (outsourcing will kill you, but only if you let it. Your rural location is a gem for more than one reason---not just a better way to live, but a better way to make a living---if you give it serious thought and DO something about it)

http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:cg3vWAanIssJ:www.mnsu.edu/ruralmn/pages/Publications/reports/manufact.pdf+trend+in+rural+manufacturing&hl=en (rural Minnesota analysis---but the Dum-Dums don't realise the necessity for broadband in jet-propelling their business ahead---when Rob ran away, maybe those he left behind were damaged-goods.)

http://www.agmconnect.org/libserv/sample_cover_letter.html (OK, OK, I know it is unfamiliar territory, and the time expended might be a waste compared to expending that time in other directions, but let me tell you a story. My excessively smart and resourceful oldest daughter created her very large income and, until graduation, permanent employment at the University of Wisconsin (I won't even mention the Athetic Dept. paying her $30 an hour for tutoring footboll and basketball players to keep them eligible to play.)

However her main source of revenue was as a grant-rainmaker. Arch Haller was head of the Brazil section of the Sociology Department---budgetless of course until my daughter brought in grant funds from the Brazilian Government, after which Arch could wallow in money---a good share of which was diverted to care and feeding of my daughter. Go thou and do likewise.---you simply can't believe how much grant money is out there for the little effort expended in finding and harvesting it---think about a good use for it, and study grantwriting techniques and illustrations)

http://www.keysheets.org/red_14_non_farm_income.html (hell, get a grant for your spin-off rural manufacturing business(they won't know about until ex post facto anyway). Get a grant for lowering the cost of farm and small town utility buildings, even residences by using my previously-suggested concrete/foam/fiber/acrylic/pozzolan bolt-together sectional panels. It doesn't even have to be a success (you can make it so), merely offer the prospects of success. Change the external appearance of a foam/fiber residence (no big deal, change the plug), where esthetic appeal is as important as maximum economy.)

http://www.cityofwheaton.com/thewallstreetjournal.htm (The Wall Street Journal is heavily under the heel of the National Association of Manufacturers and biased beyond belief---but as any kind of businessman, you absolutely must read it.---this time they've got it right for you, the rural entrepreneur.)

  • [Homestead] Home Manufacturing Busiiness, recent Post #4, Tvoivozhd, 09/21/2004