homestead - [Homestead] Home Manufacturing Business,recent Post #2

  • From: tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Home Manufacturing Business,recent Post #2
  • Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 22:02:41 -0400

OK, this is Home-manufacturing p9st #2--specifically on home manufacturing,, not other home business opportunities.

http://www.ecomhelp.com/KB/business/kb_exporting.htm (easy to set up, my export business from my

factory manufacturing engine-generators in 1955 ran on automatic-pilot. American Steel Export

Company on the tenth floor at 101 Maiden Lane New York City had an exclusive on South American

sales---did a hell of a good job and I gave them an extra five percent discount because I had no

advertisement, no payroll overhead in South America .) Your export sales generally occur in a lot

less competitive climate than your sales in the United States---I did have to educate my clueless

banker how to handle export documentation and getting paid by their affiliate foreign bank---once

the stupid SOB paid my supplier in Taiwan without confirmed loading documents, while the load was

still sitting on the wharf, having been bumped by someone bribing port officials to load their

cargo ahead of mine. I learned all about export documentation from Citybank---still have the huge

and explicit instruction manual around somewhere.)

http://www.sba.gov/ga/ Georgia is a good place for "halfback" refugees from Florida to start a

business---and may have the best upper-education guarantee in the nation for yourhigh-achievement
high school kids. Just stay away from Atlanta---head for a small town with good road access and

lower land, factory building prices)

http://www.odod.state.oh.us/edd/osb/sbdc/ 9ohio SBDC centers)

http://www.intel.com/business/bss/solutions/blueprints/pdf/dassault.pdf (product life cycle is

always a problem---don't get caught with an obsolete product)

http://www.sba.gov/library/pubs/mp-4.txt (read all about

sba businessplans---and use of Score consultants)

http://www.bizhelp24.com/business_start_up/running-manufacturing-business-1.shtml (very good

commenttary on starting, running a small manufacturing business)

http://sbir.er.doe.gov/sbir/ (small business innovation research)

http://sbir.er.doe.gov/sbir/ (you're rural, study rural-applicable small business information

here)

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb177/is_199204/ai_hibm1G112681137 (Japanese perfected

the practice of constant incremental manufacturing improvement---damn near blew General Motors and

Ford out of busines--forget about huge product changes in a still-saleable product, huge changes

tend to bring with them a lot of bugs---law of unintended results)

http://www.usasbe.org/knowledge/proceedings/1999/spann.pdf (lean manufacturing is a competitive

necessity---don't even think about anything else.)

http://www.manufacturingnews.com/ (keep abreast of political problems that can blindside you--in
this era, they may even outweigh competition)

http://www.edd.state.nm.us/PRESS/news.php?_fn=view&_rn=20001020 9commit this to memory---ISO

9000, you can't live without it in the manufacturing business)

http://www.msue.msu.edu/msue/iac/econrura.html (long list of publications on rural business you

can order, from Michigan, Minnesota, Alabama,Virginia et. al.)

ttp://www.fao.org/DOCREP/W6882e/w6882e02.htm (rural entrepreneurship from FAO, one of kmy

favorite information sources)

http://www.deq.state.va.us/osba/links.html (Virginia business aids, huge number ofinformation

links)

https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/homestead/2004-August/000004.html (well; guess the List

archives now work---have never accessed them, but stumbled across my august 26 post on backyard

cupolas and grey iron home manufacturing products---good idea, hope someone puts it to use--start

small,learn your way in patternmaking and sandcasting, get off the employee hamster wheel)