homestead - [Homestead] Bamboo oversight

  • From: Tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Bamboo oversight
  • Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 17:37:41 -0700

Neglected to add that the bigger diameter stuff (if cold-hardy) is the most useful spectrum of bamboo society---unless you are weaving hurdles, wall-panels and the like.

http://www.midatlanticbamboo.com/Uses/Index.htm

http://www.taoherbfarm.com/herbs/resources/bamboo.htm

http://www.bagelhole.org/article.php/Food/1/

http://www.senckenberg.de/private/dkovac/bamboo.htm (bamboo waterwheel pump and bamboo irrigation pipes.

http://www.swicofil.com/bambrotexenduses.html (bamboo woven and non-woven textiles)

http://bambooworld.com/mostused.htm (some bamboo applications you've never thought about, and if grown in Canada it has to be cold-hardy.)
http://www.logicsouth.com/~lcoble/dir9/bamboo.txt (eat em up)

http://www.pcarrd.dost.gov.ph/cin/bamboonet/faqs%20-%20uses.htm (government website, but lots of luch trying to reach it during normal hours)

http://www.bamboogiant.com/html/bamboo_uses.html (you got obnoxious neighbors and a zoning restriction of five feet on fences---make them both invisible with a bamboo fence, just be sure to put in a rhizome barfier first.)

http://www.akha.org/content-50.html (grow your own delicious grubs)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/listmania/list-browse/-/39JUTZH3EEHHB/104-4490109-2339147 (bamboo books, grow your own house)

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/br/2002/01/01/stories/2002010100090300.htm (Venu Bharati)

http://www.mekonginfo.org/mrc_en/doclib.nsf/0/d5ff1865a1d3c3ac47256e0c0022720c?OpenDocument (non-pressurized diffusion vertical soak with borates to extend the untreated service life of structural bamboo (three years)

http://www.americanbamboo.org/SpeciesSourceList.html (American Bamboo.org species nomenclature and source list)
http://www.americanbamboo.org/SpeciesSourceListPages/ColdHardyBamboos.html (the cold-hardy list)

http://www.mhhe.com/biosci/pae/botany/botany_map/articles/article_38.html (picture of architectural bamboo grove)

http://www.desertdomes.com/bamboo.html (bamboo domes, formulas, calculator)

http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/bamboo.html (ATTRA great source of information on bamboo and any other farm-related topic, including the essential Temperate Bamboo Quarterly listed below from "the farm", one of earliest agrosurvival groups and still highly useful.)

Temperate Bamboo Quarterly
Sue and Adam Turtle
30 Myers Road
Summertown, TN 38483
931-964-4151
/Cost: $28/4 issues per year
http://www.thefarm.org/businesses/bamboo/tbq.html

/
http://www.networkearth.org/naturalbuilding/bamboo.html (Oscar Hidalgo in Colombia,lifetime devotion to bamboo and its uses, particularly architectural---a must-read website)

http://www.mrbamboo.com.au/Ideas_and_Places/bali/bamboo_chair_bali/bamboo_chair_bali.html (popular Bali bamboo chair---looks a bit too crude for me---could be vastly improved by casting iron fasteners, and secure the advantage of KD (knockdown) compact shipping and consumer assembly of the kit---you could do the same with willow which is easier to grow in northern climates.)

http://www.travelinged.org/archive_david_2004/000322.html (David's downloads on architectural bamboo, good photos)

http://www.rainforestinfo.org.au/good_wood/bamboo.htm (good website, but disappointed they didn't dwell on use of bamboo as poison-tipped arrows--maybe they ran out of curare frogs or toads.)

*Structure & Design*

As proof of its viability, the Costa Rican Government has introduced an educational construction program, building 6,000 bamboo houses every year. Constructed of Guadua bamboo, from plantations established only eight years ago, they are designed to eliminate the often high death-toll from Costa Rica's frequent earthquakes. Unlike Bali's elegant tropical designs, Costa Rica's innovative structures are indistinguishable from conventional houses, with exterior and interior rendering supported by the superbly strong and flexible bamboo frames, giving superior insulation qualities.

Whilst simple temporary structures are easily built, permanent, strongly-built houses that comply with Council standards can be constructed if the intending builder takes the time to learn some of the necessary basic skills and procedures required. As an example, good design involves simple bracing triangulation and load-direction placement of members, together with an adequate understanding of the different joining systems available for both lightly and heavily laden columns and beams. Columns, beams and truss members need not be limited to single bamboo culms (ie, timbers), as massively strong members can be constructed using multiple culms pinned and lashed together.

http://www.bamboonetwork.org/publications/inbar/species_to_site_matching.PDF (species to site matching data in pdf format)

http://www.primitiveways.com/bamboo_rice_cooker.html (how to boil your rice in a section of bamboo---wrap the rice in a banana leaf and stuff it in the bamboo section, which in turn is simply thrust in a wood or charcoal fire.)

http://www.deccanherald.com/deccanherald/apr272004/spt15.asp (I don't think a hell of a lot of multi-story anything, nothing but killer firetraps and stairwells, but the use of structural bamboo is fine)
http://www.tradeboss.com/default.cgi/action/viewproducts/productid/1617/ (drawn coarse bamboo fiber from China factory--think about what you could make and sell with that as a base and get rich quick---no competitors)

http://www.wku.edu/~smithch/wallace/S027.htm (I will attest to the flavor of Durian, but though I like honey, never had such a passion for it that I would follow the Dyak practice of climbing an 80-foot tree trunk to get it. Buth the Dyak use of bamboo throughout their stilt-houses is splendid in a tropical or semi-tropical climate where ventilation must come both from the floor and wall-openings.)

http://www.siu.edu/~ebl/leaflets/bamboo.htm (yes, you can drill wells with bamboo culms---try that with any other tree)

https://www.vedamsbooks.com/no32842.htm (pretty pricey book on my old stamping grounds. the Chin hills of Assam. wotj 400 inches of rain per year and where the snap, crackle and pop of bamboo growing one to two feet per night will keep you awake in your mosquito net hammock.)

http://www.nativeflutes.com/songbird.html (guy comes around to the Roanoke Farmers Market Square making and selling bamboo flutes. You have to be a flautist to use them, so the market is a bit thin, but maybe he lives a bit more modestly than the rest of us.)

http://www.hennesseyingalls.com/architecture/9588156068.htm (no structure has the feel-good aura of an open, airy, well-lit bamboo and thatch structure like the Cabane Choucoune adjacent to the Hotel Choucoune in Petionville, Haiti, where I kept a suite for several years as alternate residence to a house in Duqueni whose frigid pool backed up to a mountain spring, its water running constantly through the house water supply lines and thence into the pool.

Warning, thatch roofs are flammable as hell, and loved by rats---that's ok rats are loved by King Snakes, keep a pair in your roof and forget about any rats. Don't know whether the Hotel Choucoune and Cabane Choucoune in Petionville still exist. I know the old wooden Olafsson still does in Port au Prince---used to be the favorite hangout of chess addicts and foreign journalists. Intentionally run down like a pair of well-worn shoes. Makes occupants feel at home like going back to the old family farmhouse on weekends.
http://www.buildersbooksource.com/cgi-bin/booksite/20169.html (think this is duplicated somewhere here, but couldn't risk leaving it out---Villegas New Bamboo---a fine book)
http://www.chelseagreen.com/2000/items/433 (and Chelsea Green is an always-good book source on all things buildig)

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3575/is_1279_213/ai_111105947 (grow your own house book review)

http://www.bambooliving.com/ (beautiful bamboo houses in Maui)

http://www.jademountainbamboo.com/html/info/faqs.asp (Jade Mounain is not as useful as it used to be, but some good notes on growing bamboo)

http://www.worldbamboo.org/bamboo.htm (bamboo grows to its full mature height in three months---try to beat that with anything else on a tree-farm.)

  • [Homestead] Bamboo oversight, Tvoivozhd, 09/09/2004