homestead - Re: [Homestead] get up before the chickens, go to sleep ....

  • From: Walter H.Jeffries <Highlands AT blacklightning.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] get up before the chickens, go to sleep ....
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 14:37:20 -0400

Light at Night May Be Linked to Cancer
Disrupting the Body's Internal "Clock" Could Have Impact

I've read this sort of thing before as well as research that talked about night light harming children's eye development. I have a hard time taking it seriously though since at night we have a bright moon lighting up the landscape much of the time and almost always enough star light to easily move around and see by at night. Nights are not black unless there is very deep cloud cover with no moon. We live out in the sticks so there aren't any artificial lights, even on the horizon, but there is still lots of light most nights. Having some light at night is a part of the natural cycle.

There are a lot of other explanations for poor eye sight (watching TV too much, poor nutrition) and a rise in childhood leukemia, breast cancer and colorectal cancer (all the pollutants in the environment). The problem with the studies is they are correlational and may be missing other causes.