homestead - Re: [Homestead] NYTimes.com Article: The Next Shock: Not Oil, but Debt

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: tvoivozd AT roanoke.infi.net, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] NYTimes.com Article: The Next Shock: Not Oil, but Debt
  • Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 14:43:44 -0700

The same holds for consumers. All kinds of wild cards that
are scary even in placid times - another spike in gas
prices, a rupture of the housing bubble, fresh job losses,
a period of sustained inflation - become nightmares during
times of greater leverage. So as we go to bed with our
suppers and our home-equity lines of credit, Professor
Goolsbee says: "I think we should be a little nervous."

Where's a Bill Clinton when we need him? The surplus he provided has been spent and we now have big debt that is getting bigger and are offered hopeful promises that lower taxes will solve the problem. I will not depend on that. As USA debt grows and we must increase borrowing from other countries they will demand higher interest. That will drive consumer interest rates higher. If you don't have a good interest rate on your mortgage, consider doing it now. These are the good old days.