homestead - Re: [Homestead] statistics - how-to lie with numbers

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] statistics - how-to lie with numbers
  • Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2004 12:29:53 -0700

At 9/5/2004, you wrote:
I had the "correct" site bookmarked at one time showing 'how figures lie' by inclusion/exclusion/juggling -

Back in my college statistics class, one required reading was the book "How to Lie With Statistics", author's name long forgotten. It and another book by the same author "How to Take a Chance" did more to show how by manipulation numbers can be forced in just about any conclusion you want. Unemployment statistics have become more unreliable by the year since about the mid 80s.

Don Bowen
Awl Knotted Up Woodworking
Valley Center, CA http://www.braingarage.com