homestead - Re: [Homestead] Strong language, feeble actions, Hightower

  • From: Walter H.Jeffries <Highlands AT blacklightning.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Strong language, feeble actions, Hightower
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 11:30:11 -0400

On Sep 3, 2004, at 1:08 PM, Tvoivozhd wrote:
(a) You will never see the IRS eliminated---I repeat NEVER.

Yes, I know, I know... there are too many crooked politicians and lobbyists that benefit from the current system. The current system is bad but the people in power aren't going to let go even if a better, fairer system is put forth.

more recently the U.S. system turns more and more to easily-collected income taxes---from the middle class who cannot afford legal fees to combat arbitrary tax impositions upon them.

Exactly, the income tax comes out almost invisibly from people's paychecks - the sheep aren't even noticing they're being fleeced. SS & Medicare taxes are even worse because people think the employer pays half - No, the employer simply pays the worker less and then pays that portion to the government. The employee pays the whole tax in reality.

A better system would be very visible where you see the tax every time you pay it. A sales tax works that way. It is simple, easy to collect and already works.

The IRS does not pursue rich individuals precisely because as Loretta Helmsly accurately observed, "only the poor pay taxes". The rich hire tax attorneys and accountants to make collection of taxes from them an impossibility.

Exactly, one more very important reason to have a sales tax (sales & services) with no exemptions and no loopholes. The current tax system was built complex so people who can afford lawyers and accountants can get out of paying. Scrap it.

One can dream of a better world.