gwl-g - [gwl-g] Newspaper failures

gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: gardenwriters-on-gardening

  • From: Nancy Szerlag <szerlag@earthlink.net>
  • To: gardenwriters-on-gardening <gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Nancy Szerlag <szerlag@earthlink.net>
  • Subject: [gwl-g] Newspaper failures
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 16:26:15 -0400

My late husband worked in marketing and editorial for The Detroit Free Press for 35 years. I worked at the Freep for 10 years in the Marketing Department so I have some insite into this situation. 25 years ago my husband did a freelance power point program for Knight Ridder touting the advantages of a company in California that had nothing to do with newspapers or TV. KR saw the writing on the wall back then and hired folks to look for alternative investments. Several years ago Knight Ridder sold all it's newspapers. Circulation began declining several decades ago, log before the big budget cuts. Problem was Gen Xers don't read newspapers. As circulation declined advertising declined. Cable hit and took another big chunk of the pie as Advertisers began focusing on the 18 to 34 market.. Stockholders, used to a hefty returns, began to scream . Bean counters made more cuts. The internet became mainstream. Want Ads and real estate, a big advertising cash cow was slautered by Graig's list. The economy to took a dump and the real estate market went south - need I go on?
Nancy Szerlag
Columnist for Detroit News
szerlag@earthlink.net
Check blog at www.gardeneryardener.blogspot.com

  • [gwl-g] Newspaper failures, Nancy Szerlag, 09/16/2009