gwl-g - Re: [gwl-g] Doreen in NY Times

gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: gardenwriters-on-gardening

  • From: "Debra Lee Baldwin" <Sunwriter7@cox.net>
  • To: <gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [gwl-g] Doreen in NY Times
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 10:29:00 -0700

This is such a major accomplishment, not only for Doreen, but also for the
GWA and Plant A Row for the Hungry. For the record, here is the part of the
article that is relevant to our group. -- Debra Lee Baldwin

Excerpted from the New York Times online, June 11, 2008, "Banking on
Gardening" by Marian Burros:

Doreen G. Howard, a former garden editor for Woman's Day and now a writer
for The American Gardener, is one of the committed. She has had a vegetable
garden for most of the last 25 years. This year she has quadrupled the size
of her vegetable plot in Roscoe, Ill., because of the economy and because
she thinks the quality of store-bought produce has deteriorated. Once
vegetables were just 5 percent of her garden; now they are 20 percent.

"Food prices have gotten to the point where we are seeing the difference,"
she said. "It's pushing our budget and we are a two-income family. It was
never a concern before." Ms. Howard said her grocery bill for two went from
$100 a week to $140 a week this year.

She has chosen many vegetables that freeze well, investing in a secondhand
freezer to store the bounty. She plans to dry the herbs that grow on the
back porch next to boxes of mesclun, and to make pickles from the cucumbers
and raisins from the grapes - her newest addition. And she is looking
forward to a cellar full of Peruvian blue potatoes.

Some of Ms. Howard's increased harvest will also go to food pantries through
an organization called Plant a Row for the Hungry, which encourages
gardeners to plant extra vegetables to share with the poor.