gwl-g - [gwl-g] Vacations Away from the Garden

gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: gardenwriters-on-gardening

  • From: eog9612@aol.com
  • To: gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [gwl-g] Vacations Away from the Garden
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 09:28:36 -0400

I'm writing a piece on management strategies for residential gardens while homeowners are on vacation.  I've got all the standard stuff -- increasing mulch, water reservoirs, utilizing shade, etc.

What about slowing down the rate of growth or development in flowers and vegetables?  I've read about cutting back garden phlox heads, removing all buds and open flowers, for a whole new flush of blooms in two to three weeks.  Certainly, shearing has many benefits for summer-flowering herbaceous plants.  Anything comparable in the vegetable garden?

Ellen Goff,
gardening on the shores
of  Lake Wylie, SC