gwl-g - [gwl-g] Catalogs of Note

gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: gardenwriters-on-gardening

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: "gardenwriters-on-gardening" <gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org>, <gardenwriters@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [gwl-g] Catalogs of Note
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 15:01:42 -0600

It's that time of the year when we garden writers and serious gardeners are inundated with seed and plant catalogs from every company on the planet. Several that have arrived in my mailbox deserve comments.

As always, Tony Avent's Plant Delights Nursery catalog cover rocks!. Gardening Jihad! I especially like Mark Foley and the leaf blower. The "special paid ad" on page 109 elicited giggles even from my non-gardening spouse. Wonder if I could really buy Eupatorium dubium 'Little Joe Lieberman' or a Juglans koreana 'Kim Jong II'. I'd even pay the $80 Earl and Marie Blatherskite of the Shady Deals Nursery, Emu Ranch, Nail Salon, Video Poker and Auto Body Repair Shop want. http://www.shadydealsnursery.com for their entire plant and book list. Very entertaining.

The most esthetic, content-filled catalog, IMHO, is Seeds of Change's. The cover and copy are stunning, the grower and chef profiles interesting and plant diversity awesome. I'll be ordering bunches of stuff from it.

Another catalog of note is Jung's 100th Anniversary catalog. The old photos and history are great commentaries on how our industry has changed and advanced. I especially like the catalog covers from the 1920's and 1930's. They'd make great posters if Jung ever decides to go that route. I'll be ordering from this catalog, too.

There are so many great catalogs this year, in terms of plant diversity, graphics and photography. It's subjective, of course. But, I'm hoping to prime the pump to get you listserv members to talk about your favorites. We all learn from these exchanges.
Doreen Howard
Listserv Owner

  • [gwl-g] Catalogs of Note, Doreen Howard, 01/09/2007