gwl-g - [gwl-g] Posting newspaper articles

gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: gardenwriters-on-gardening

  • From: "Douglas Green" <d.green@xplornet.com>
  • To: "'gardenwriters-on-gardening'" <gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [gwl-g] Posting newspaper articles
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 11:17:57 -0400

In the past few weeks, I've seen the text of copyright newspaper articles
posted on various listservs (the Heronswood posting here on gwl and alpine-l
for example).

What is your take on this? Are we breaking copyright by posting these
articles? I note you have to register to read the Heronswood article on the
originating newspaper.

Do newspapers want you to forward their articles to listservs?

How do we as writers feel if an article we wrote is posted on the net -
effectively breaking our copyright control of this material?

For example, my newspaper column specifically excludes all internet posting.
I control the electronic distribution of all my material and I would
consider it a copyright violation if somebody posted something I wrote. I
routinely run articles and webpages through copyscape.com to check for
violations and wind up having to do a dmca complaint every month or so.

And your opinions on this are ??

Doug

Doug Green
Blog:http://feeds.feedburner.com/DougGreensGardening.