gwl-g - [gwl-g] Fwd: [CNIPM-L] Fw: Fwd(2): Warning about mulch this year from the LSU Ag Center

gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: gardenwriters-on-gardening

  • From: Jeff Lowenfels <jeff@gardener.com>
  • To: gardenwriters-on-gardening <gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [gwl-g] Fwd: [CNIPM-L] Fw: Fwd(2): Warning about mulch this year from the LSU Ag Center
  • Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 14:47:32 -0900

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jacqueline de Montigny <jdemontigny@fs.fed.us>
Date: March 6, 2006 12:50:42 PM AKST
To: cnipm-l@lists.uaf.edu

fyi

----- Original Message -----

Monday, March 6, 2006 8:17:34 AM
Message
From: Arlene Wilson
Witttl@cs.com
To: All Personnel
Attachments: Attach0.html 3K

I know many of you have green thumbs and do a lot of gardening. I thought
this would be important to you.

Arlene

Pass along from LSU Ag. Center:

http://www.agctr.lsu.edu/termites/

If you use mulch around your house be very careful about buying mulch this
year. After the Hurricane in New Orleans many trees were blown over. These
trees were then turned into mulch and the state is trying to get rid of
tons and tons of this mulch to any stat e or company who will come and
haul it away. So it will be showing up in Home Depot and Lowes at dirt
cheap prices with one huge problem; Formosan Termites will be the bonus in
many of those bags. New Orleans is one of the few areas in the country
were the Formosan Termites has gotten a strong hold and most of the trees
blown down were already badly infested with those termites. Now we may
have the worst case of transporting a problem to all parts of the country
that we have ever had. These termites can eat a house in no time at all
and we have no good control against them, so tell your friends that own
homes to avoid cheap mulch and know were it came from.

(See attached file: Attach0.html) Pass along from LSU Ag. Center: