gwl-g - Re: [gwl-g] Lythrum

gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: gardenwriters-on-gardening

  • From: Hamptongar@aol.com
  • To: gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [gwl-g] Lythrum
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 06:49:09 EST

There's no reason at all why this is a bad idea....a bit late in the game but not a bad idea at all.  I've been writing about the Lythrum problem for years and it always sparks a small debate.  The last time I suggested that garden centers stop selling the plant and garden designers stop using Lythrum in their designs we took some flak.  One garden center owner wrote a scathing letter to the editor about how this plant was not an environmental threat and withdrew their advertising $$ from the paper.  Pretty hard to believe with all the documentation that's available. Even more startling though was a municipal planting where there was copious use of Lythrum...and within seed shot of wetlands.

Andrew Messinger
The Hampton Gardener
The Hampton Gardener is a Registered Trade Mark
(Published every Thursday in the Southampton Press)

  • Re: [gwl-g] Lythrum, Hamptongar, 02/08/2006