gwl-g - Re: [gwl-g] gardens in Europe

gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: gardenwriters-on-gardening

  • From: Fran <fgustman@juno.com>
  • To: gardenwriters-on-gardening <gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [gwl-g] gardens in Europe
  • Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 15:04:23 -0500

Katie,

Were you able to do a book review for HortResources?

How are you doing?

Fran

KTCopsey@aol.com wrote:

Anna
Assuming you would like some history to the gardens, here are some that I use in my English gardens from an historical point of view. Most of them are on the web somewhere by plugging the property name into google: From the north:
Hardwick New Castle (late 16thC) next to the old castle (medieval). Bess of Hardwick was the gardener and when Capability Brown phase arrived, she apparently told him to leave the walls. Features wonderful walls and gardens.
Chatsworth - the famous gardens of the midlands.
Ashby de la Zouch - not far from Chatsworth and my school town - not bad as a town goes, but the castle grounds maybe show remnant ponds from Lord Hastings days (early 15thC?). The grounds are due for formal investigation in 2006.
Stratford on Avon has lots of places and oldy worldy buildings and old manor houses etc. many with gardens. Anne Hathaway's garden and the New House garden are just two.
Next to Stratford is Warwick: the castle has some gardens (I think) but the Lord Leicester Hospital is rather unique and has some interesting garden features (a nileometer - one of two that were brought from ancient (?) Egypt were they measured the level of the Nile floods and thus taxes could be assessed.).
London - lots of places, but the Chelsea physic garden and Kew. Hamptom Court is just a quick train trip south.
Mainland Europe I do not know as well, so I will let someone else take that side of the trip.
Hope this helps,
Kate Copsey
Freelance Garden Writer
Herbs, Historic Gardens