gwl-g - Re: [gwl-g] White Oak Acorns

gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: gardenwriters-on-gardening

  • From: "bbmackey" <bbmackey@prodigy.net>
  • To: "gardenwriters-on-gardening" <gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [gwl-g] White Oak Acorns
  • Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 21:58:30 -0500

In the middle of October I asked if anyone wanted some of my plentiful white oak acorns, which were already sprouting, for tree planting projects.
I had a couple of takers, including Betty Earl, who told me that those champion acorns led to quite a battle. Here is her story -- good for a laugh and perhaps proof that the massacred hellebores she mentioned in another post were a crime of squirrely revenge.:

-- Betty Mackey
----------------------------------message from Betty Earl-----------------
The acorns arrived in exemplary fashion, thank you! Now I have to share a tale with you.

Remember the old song "I fought the law and the law won!"? Well,
change the word "law" to "squirrel" --- and you have my morning
experience.

Received the package of acorns last wednesday. These must have been really aromatic, a true "gourmet's
delight" acorns or the squirrel was endowed with both a discerning nose and an advanced palate...or maybe both. From the time that the mailman rang the doorbell to the time I opened the front door, the red mini squirrel (who has never bothered any package in the years we've lived here) had made the decision to attack that bubble envelope.for the goodies inside. By the time I unlocked the screen door, he had already torn a 3" hole in the package, and eyes totally riveted on me was pulling one of the plastic bags from within. As I approached him he stood his ground...tugging, glaring, chattering...daring me to take that plastic bag away from him. Finally the bag gave from within the confines of the envelope, shot out of the envelope hitting the squirrel smack in the
face -- yet the little bugger held on.. pulling the bountiful plastic bag (which was bigger than he was) full of his precious goodies backwards away from me. I couldn't help myself, part of me wanted to let him go in peace, part of me wanted to harangue him a bit...the latter won. I took the corner of the bag and gave it a tug, he tugged
back. I tugged some more, he pulled the bag toward the edge of the front stoop all the while scolding me for keeping him from his prize.
Finally, I let go...the momentum of that act sent him and his plastic bag full of acorns over the edge of the stoop...bag landing on top of him. Still, he clutched his prized possession. Last I saw of him, he
was tearing toward the back of the property, plastic bag flapping over the grass,rebuking me at the top of his lungs the entire time. Nature is cute, isn't it?
(P.S. We have two, red, as I call them "mini" squirrels -- about the half the size of a normal one. These are not juveline's, rather adults, just really small.) Have potted up all the acorns and will share my bounty with Joe.

I -- and the mini squirrel -- Thank you.