gwl-g - [gwl-g] names

gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: gardenwriters-on-gardening

  • From: GeraldB571@aol.com
  • To: gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [gwl-g] names
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 13:26:36 EDT

SherriAnn,

When I was with Burpee, David Burpee had quite a thing going at one time, naming flowers, mostly sweet peas, after various celebrity women.

I can't remember many, but you could probably Google sweet peas, or women's names back in the 1950's to 1970s and get some info. If you have access to old Burpee catalogs you could pick up some. My personal copies stayed with Burpee when I left in 1980 But George Ball, current President of Burpee might be able to have some looked up for you in old catalogs. It 's also possible that some other ex-Burpee people might have kept their old copies. Try Derek Fell.

Gerald Burke
Flower Power Columnist

  • [gwl-g] names, GeraldB571, 07/21/2005