gwl-g - Re: [gwl-g] meadows and wildflowers, can it?

gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: gardenwriters-on-gardening

  • From: Hamptongar@aol.com
  • To: gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [gwl-g] meadows and wildflowers, can it?
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 21:50:18 EDT

Over the past 25 years I've written numerous times about flowering meadows and fields of wildflowers.  The two terms conjure up images that seem impossible to translate into reality..at least here in the East.  I've interviewed the experts, seen the videos...and for five years worked on a six acre plot and a five acre plot with various mixes and methods.  To date...and tens of thousands of my wealthy benefactors dollars later...we have decided to revert back to grassy meadows that get mowed all too often.  I've even observed another property where the country's alleged wildflower and meadow expert did his magic...and now three years later it looks very unmagical  and down right common...even under his direction.

Wondering if anyone else has had large scale success in the Northeast or has  seen it.  I'm talking mixed annuals and perennials...taking a couple of years of development then sitting back and watching the show for years to come.  Is the meadow in a can, the field of dreams...just that?

Andrew Messinger
The Hampton Gardener
The Hampton Gardener is a Registered Trade Mark
(Published every Thursday in the Southampton Press)

  • Re: [gwl-g] meadows and wildflowers, can it?, Hamptongar, 06/14/2004