gwl-g - [gwl-g] Fairy moss and duck weed

gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: gardenwriters-on-gardening

  • From: Duane Campbell <dcamp911@juno.com>
  • To: gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [gwl-g] Fairy moss and duck weed
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 19:07:45 -0400

I have a question for a knowledgeable pond person

I have a tiny pond (my lily puddle), and I'm one of those weird people
who actually likes the green look. I cultivate duck weed and azola.

The duck weed is hardy here and overwinters outdoors. The azola isn't,
but usually a bit clings to plants I bring in and reestablishes itself
outside when I take the plants back out.

Since the duck weed is already in residence outdoors, it is usually
growing well before the azola comes to visit. But in most years within a
few weeks the azola completely takes over, banishing the duck weed to
wherever it is that duck weed goes. Right now I have a cover of duck weed
with maybe a couple dozen dots of azola; I expect it to be all azola by
mid-July. Not that I mind. Azola is a more interesting plant.

But why does this happen? My first thought was that the fish like to eat
the duck weed but not the azola. On further consideration, though, that
doesn't make sense. If that were the case, in years when I don't have
azola, the fish would presumably eat all the duck weed faster than it
could reproduce, right? And I'd be left with nothing but boring, clear
water and the bottle caps on the bottom.

Anyone have any ideas?

I am Duane Campbell and I approve this message

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!