grhits - [grhits] SMTP servers in remote locations

grhits AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global Reproductive Health IT Support list

  • From: "Jojo Almario" <jalmario AT intrahealth.org>
  • To: "Global Reproductive Health IT Support list" <grhits AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [grhits] SMTP servers in remote locations
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 11:12:30 -0400

Another “see what everyone else does question”

For those of you who manage field offices that use POP3 connections back to the head quarters office, do you use the headquarters SMTP server or the SMTP server of the ISP that services that office?  Do you find one more favorable than the other?

I have recently found that our office in Tanzania has switched locations and ISPs.  The ISP require that all SMTP traffic (auth or mail) be relayed through their own SMTP server smtp1.bol.co.tz.  When I white listed that entry,  mail from that office started was able to reach headquarters, but I don’t know how outside domains will react to a mail packet that is relayed off of one SMTP server then ours then to a domain.

I had thought of just having the users there just authenticate and send through that the ISPs SMTP server since I white listed it now, but if it ever gets black listed I can’t control  getting it off of there since I have no administrative jurisdiction over it.

Thoughts or suggestions welcome,

Jojo

  • [grhits] SMTP servers in remote locations, Jojo Almario, 04/17/2008