grhits - [grhits] Broadband wireless access cards in India

grhits AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global Reproductive Health IT Support list

  • From: "Jojo Almario" <jalmario AT intrahealth.org>
  • To: "Global Reproductive Health IT Support list" <grhits AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [grhits] Broadband wireless access cards in India
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 13:16:31 -0400

Our users in New Delhi are currently using Reliance R data cards (broadband wireless gsm/gprs) to connect to the internet when they are not in the office.  When I looked on their website they advertise (brag) 144kbps.  Regular  internet traffic is fine, but The only problem is these users are trying to use Outlook through  RPC/HTTPS, which becomes painfully slow to synchronize. Yeah they could use OWA, but they want to use all the features of Outlook with none of the quirks of OWA.  They could be on POP instead of RPC/HTTPS but that want to have access to global address list and shared calendaring.

It surprises me that this type of internet access is the only type of access that the users have outside the office.  I am surprised because New Delhi is the only field office we are able to afford a 1-2 MBS internet connection, yet the users only have the equivalent of glorified dialup.  Mainly its my cultural ignorance at work here.

So….

Does any one know of any other broad band wireless cards available India that offer anywhere from 512kbps to 1.1mbs bandwidth?  I have tried a 3G card here and it flat out rocks! But I don’t know if anything like that is available in India .

Thanks in Advance,

Jojo

  • [grhits] Broadband wireless access cards in India, Jojo Almario, 09/14/2007