grhits - Re: [grhits] [InteRider] A MARRIAGE BOUND NOT TO HAPPEN? FLOSS AND NGOs

grhits AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global Reproductive Health IT Support list

  • From: "William Lester" <WLester AT engenderhealth.org>
  • To: <interider AT npogroups.org>, <grhits AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [grhits] [InteRider] A MARRIAGE BOUND NOT TO HAPPEN? FLOSS AND NGOs
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 13:47:22 -0000

RE: …moreover, Windows was perceived as being better (as it cost money)…

This is the problem that we face all over Africa. Here’s an interesting (non-FOSS) example:

SANGONet in South Africa has partnered with TechSoup to offer qualified NGOs in South Africa software from Microsoft and hardware from Cisco at substantially discounted prices. TechSoup is very popular in the US and provides many organizations an affordable way to obtain needed products.

When I asked our eRider who supports our Johannesburg office to apply for the SANGOTech program, he was very suspicious. He felt that because the products were being offered at a discount, there must be something wrong with them. I assured him that the products were of equal quality to the full-price options. I even reminded him that he had met several of the principles at SANGONet and knew them to be honorable people, dedicated to helping the NGO sector. He would not budge until I “insisted” that he follow-up on the offer.

Throughout the vetting/ordering process, he treated every email or question or hiccup as an example of how we were being bilked. He was not alone in his suspicions. Others in the JNB office held the same belief. This continues to be the hardest sell I ever encountered. Based on past experiences, they don’t believe that someone would offer something for free or very little cost without strings or consequences.

I face the same problem with FOSS. I’ve been able to overcome some of the doubt and suspicion by paying local consultants to install, configure, and customize the products. Spending money is seen as having a direct relationship to the quality of the product or service, and so avoiding volunteers or local staff, and outsourcing to consultants has helped me to deal with some of the fears about FOSS.

Have others faced these kinds of problems?

William (Bill) Lester

Chief Information Officer

EngenderHealth | 440 Ninth Avenue

New York City |  10001  |  US