grhits - Re: [grhits] Listserve

grhits AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global Reproductive Health IT Support list

  • From: "Dykki Settle" <dsettle AT intrahealth.org>
  • To: "Global Reproductive Health IT Support list" <grhits AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [grhits] Listserve
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 14:27:17 -0500

Hi Bill!  Yes, it has been a little while since I have had the opportunity to discourse at length, so I trust you will forgive the irony when I suggest that the reason isn’t mistrust at all.  Rather, the issue is affected by the nature of how busy we are.  I have noted of late that our international purview gives us immense scalar complexity problems, both in terms of the contexts where we work and the headcount cost differential:

Labor costs are low in the countries we work, so we tend to have more staff per dollar, yet ICT costs are equally, if not more, expensive to provide the same level of support in the field as we do domestically.  This creates a situation where we have  x million in ‘revenue’ has x*10 in staff spread throughout the world.  This would not be supportable in the domestic corporate world.  No WONDER we in IS/ICT don’t have time (or energy) to collaborate well.  Classic case of cobblers children, to be a bit alliterative.

This means I treasure all the more the opportunity to see colleagues this week in Baltimore at the npoki conference!  Shannon Turlington and I will be arriving tonight at about 7:30, please do give us a call 919-360-4011 if anyone on this list will be there and is up for dinner tonight!

Dykki Settle

Director, ICT/IS

IntraHealth International, Inc