grhits - Re: [grhits] throughput to dakar

grhits AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global Reproductive Health IT Support list

  • From: "William Lester" <wlester AT engenderhealth.org>
  • To: <jalmario AT intrahealth.org>, <grhits AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [grhits] throughput to dakar
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 11:00:30 -0400

The bottleneck is always the country's connection to the international
internet grid. In the case of Senegal, it's the local government that
controls that throughput, and it isn't very good.

What we do in considering the use of a new service like ADSL, is to go
to a sister organization already using the service, and using our own
tools, measure the actual throughput. Ideally, we do this over a period
of time to get a real sense of what we will get if we purchase the
service. I value this information over any promise from the vendor or
ISP, especially promises of improved service/connectivity that will
happen "really soon". And remember, support and is probably more
imortant than the service itself.

Bill Lester
EngenderHealth

William A. Lester
CTO/Director of Technology
NinthBridge
a program of EngenderHealth
440 Ninth Avenue
New York, NY 10001
(Office) 212.561.8002 (eFax) 212.202.5167
(e-Mail) walester AT ninthbridge.org
(URL) www.ninthbridge.org
"The Means to The Mission"

>>> jalmario AT intrahealth.org 10/23/03 3:31 PM >>>
Fellow Grhits members

We have an office in Dakar that is currently using a leased internet
line running @ 64kbps. The tech over there wants to switch to an adsl
connection. Does anyone know of the the true throughput speeds of adsl
over in Dakar or near that part of Africa? Is there any way to test if
there are any bottle necks in through put between the Continental US and
Dakar?

Thanks

JoJo
Intrahealth

  • [grhits] throughput to dakar, JoJo Almario, 10/23/2003
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: [grhits] throughput to dakar, William Lester, 10/24/2003