grhits - [grhits] FW: pop email problems.

grhits AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global Reproductive Health IT Support list

  • From: "JoJo Almario" <jalmario AT intrahealth.org>
  • To: <grhits AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [grhits] FW: pop email problems.
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 11:01:40 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: JoJo Almario [mailto:jalmario AT intrahealth.org]
Sent:
Wednesday, September 03, 2003 11:00 AM
To: 'grhits AT list.ibiblio.org'
Subject: pop email problems.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestion as to what might be happening with our pop3 connections or have a suggestion on what to check.

    We are using Communigate Pro 4.1.1 on a Redhat Linux 7.0 platform.  Our office in India recently requested to use our email services as they were dissatisfied with the local vsnl.net connection.  We set up their member ids on our server and instructed them how to point their email clients to our server.  At first they were on imap which was slow, but worked.  We then instructed them how to switch over to Pop 3 settings which improved the downloading of messages.  Recently however ( and suddenly)  they are getting error messages that report a “timeout while connecting to the pop server.”  They reported this problem right after our isp  (UNC.edu) went through the worm fiascos (Welchia and blaster).  Every once and a while now someone internal to our office, and using pop3 connection will have that error message come up but it is random and does not present a consistent problem like over in our India office.  Internal and local IMAP users however are not having any problem connecting and checking messages.  Also all web mail users are having no problem viewing messages via the web interface.

Our India office is using a dialup account and have a machine set as their gateway to the internet.  On our mail server we have a firewall but ports 25, 106, 110,143, 993 are open and have unfettered access.

Is it foolish to think that dialup form India would be enough to connect all the way back to NC to download mail?  Would an IMAP connection be better albeit slower solution?  Should I only consider a drop in email/web appliance like the Qube3?

Any help is appreciated.

JoJo Almario

  • [grhits] FW: pop email problems., JoJo Almario, 09/03/2003