grhits - [grhits] end of the qube

grhits AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global Reproductive Health IT Support list

  • From: "Dykki Settle" <dsettle AT intrahealth.org>
  • To: <grhits AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [grhits] end of the qube
  • Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 10:33:40 -0400

Dear GRHITS,

In preparing for my impending field trip, I have discovered the Sun Cobalt Qube project has finally been shelved.  Sun Microsystems, in their infinite wisdom, have determined that the one-stop Internet/Intranet box for small offices is not nearly as good a market anymore as the bulk web server market, so their server appliance strategy is now fully oriented towards that.

Does anyone know of, or better yet, have experience with, other ‘office in a box’ type server appliances?  I am looking for web-based administration, file and print services, web-based email with POP3, IMAP, SMTP,  DNS, IP Routing, and support for IP sharing over a variety of connection types.  OS is not critical to me, but I prefer Linux for the field offices.

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Dykki Settle
Director, Information Technology
PRIME II / IntraHealth International Inc.
dsettle AT intrahealth.org | +1(919)966-3868