gmark - [GMark] (no subject)

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: Khbonnell AT aol.com
  • To: GMark AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [GMark] (no subject)
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 22:53:17 EDT

   1. Re: [Synoptic-L] parables in Mk. 3:23-27? (Monnie Sears)
Message: 1
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 09:23:08 -0500
From: "Monnie Sears" <msears AT amce.com>
Subject: Re: [GMark] [Synoptic-L] parables in Mk. 3:23-27?
To: "Kata Markon" gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

I suppose the author is counting five parables as follows:

  [23]And he called them unto him,
  and said unto them in parables,
1 How can Satan cast out Satan?
2 [24]And if a kingdom be divided
  against itself, that kingdom
  cannot stand.
3 [25]And if a house be divided
  against itself, that house
  cannot stand.
4 [26]And if Satan rise up against
  himself, and be divided, he
  cannot stand, but hath an end.
5 [27]No man can enter into a
  strong man's house, and spoil
  his goods, except he will first
  bind the strong man; and then he
  will spoil his house.
Verses 26 and 27 appear to be one statement, not being separated by "and" as
are the other sentences. However, I suspect that Jesus' discourse was
lengthier and that Mark only recorded those parts of it that were pertinent
to the purpose of his gospel. This suspicion is borne out by Matthew's
version of this event (Mat. 12:25-29). Matthew's record of Jesus' lecture
includes two sentences (12:27 and 12:28) between the 4th and 5th parables
enumerated above. So they are two separate statements, not one. If I were
editing a red-letter edition, I would have the first "and" in verses 24, 25
and 26 printed in black; as written by Mark and not spoken by Jesus.
Monnie Sears, LS  Survey Department Manager  Algeier, Martin & Associates  PO. Box 2627
Joplin, Missouri 64803

www.amce.com>
> However,  my real question has to do not with what SATANAS means in 3:23,
> but1whether or not there are, as Kelly claims,  five separate prables/comparisons
> in Mk. 3:23-27.
>
> Does anyone have any answers for that?
>
> Jeffrey

There are only four parables:  v. 24:  "If a kingdom is divided against itself, it cannot stand."  v. 25  "If a house is divided against itself, it cannot stand."  v. 26 "If Satan (an adversary) rises up against himself and is divided, he cannot stand but has an end."  v. 27  "No man can enter into a strong man's house and spoil his goods, except that he would first bind the strong man; and then he will spoil his house."

Kenneth Bonnell

  • [GMark] (no subject), Khbonnell, 08/07/2007