gmark - [GMark] Codex Bezae: Gospel of Mark and Marginal Notes

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: George Young <webber_young AT yahoo.com>
  • To: gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [GMark] Codex Bezae: Gospel of Mark and Marginal Notes
  • Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 07:03:06 -0700 (PDT)

Dear List:

I find that certain manuscripts capture more of my
attention than others, and certainly Codex Bezae is
one of them. A while back I was reading through this
extraordinary manuscript and I was perplexed by the
marginal notes, particularly those at the bottom of
the pages to the Gospel of Mark. For instance, at the
very beginning of the gospel, the marginal note at the
bottom reads something like this:

"The interpretation sent away with contention."

***You can view the opening page here:

http://alpha.reltech.org:8083/cgi-bin/Ebind2html/BibleMSS/U5?seq=565

These rather negative comments continue throughout the
Gospel. What do other list members think of these
comments? I'm interested in the speculations' of
others regarding this anonymous editor? Why do you
suppose he struggles with the Gospel of Mark so much?
Also, do any list members know of a full translation
of these comments online?

Sincerely,

Webber Young.