gmark - [GMark] The Parable of the Growing Seed

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: George Young <webber_young AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [GMark] The Parable of the Growing Seed
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 07:09:56 -0700 (PDT)

Dear G-Mark List:

It has been mystery to me as to the meaning of the
Parable of the Growing Seed (Mk. 4:26-29). I am aware
of many of the explanations "out there," however, many
of them I have found helpful to some degree, but
unsatisfactory in explaining the parable completely.
My hope is that this list might be able to further my
understand of this parable. In any case, there are a
number of difficult features to the parable that are
worth noting:

1. This parable falls between two other "growing
metaphors": the Parable of the Sower and the Parable
of the Mustard Seed. In the Parable of the Sower
(including its explanation) there is no mention of
seeds. Yet in the Parables of the Growing Seed and the
Mustard Seed Jesus does mention *types* of seeds: In
the Growing Seed parable He mentions "TON SPORON"; in
the Mustard Seed parable He mentions "KOKKW SINAPEWS."
The difference in seed types does seem significant,
"TON SPORON" denoting something akin to "an original
seed," and "KOKKW SINAPEWS" something akin to "a red
seed." The two parables in this way do appear to be
linked, and perhaps the meaning or explanation might
be linked as well to the parable of the Sower in some
way. Another feature that might be considered is
that in both instances the word "seed" is in the
singular - although perhaps one might argue that they
are collective nouns?

2. The syntax of the Parable of the Growing Seed
seems quite difficult, at least for me. In particular
the phrase in v.27b "WS OUK OIDEN AUTOS" is difficult.
How is one to translate this verse? "as if he did
not know it" OR "though he does not know how"? I am
more and more convinced, that every word and the
choice of words has a particular and intrinsic meaning
to the parable. In other words, the language of the
parable is cryptic and mysterious.

3. Finally, JesusÂ’ discourse in 4:21-24 seems
significant in the interpretation of the parables,
suggesting even that unless it is revealed then it
remains concealed. However, the discourse also
suggests that if its concealed it will be revealed
too. Anyway, if anyone has some insight into the
Parable of the Growing Seed, your comments would be
greatly welcomed.

Sincerely,

Webber Young.